Health and Safety Update October 2020
In June 2020 we reported on the measures that local Northamptonshire businesses were putting in place to make their workplaces safe for their employees. Since then we've seen COVID-19 cases rise and fall across the county - sometimes drastically, but always with lessons learned and changes made to keep everyone safe.
When the government announced the new three tier system for categorising local areas, we saw Northamptonshire (thankfully) fall into the medium category, the lowest of the three. Following this, the Director of Public Health at Northamptonshire County Council, Lucy Wightman, has pleaded with the people of Northamptonshire to stay cautious and follow the guidelines so we can keep the levels as low as possible. We thought it was about time we'd share an update on what we and our clients, are doing to keep employees safe.
- We are screening and vetting candidates fully, including checking their recent work history for outbreaks of COVID-19
- NHS Track and Trace has been set up across our sites for daily check-ins
- We haven't stopped our service of inducting and checking-in staff, but we are conducting them remotely
- Sensory tests (using herbs and spices to check employee’s sense of smell and taste) are being required at some sites
- Perspex screens, floor markings and social distancing have been increased
- Still important to enforce are staggered starts, finishes and breaks to reduce contact amongst different bubbles
- Provisions of new PPE including masks and visors have been distributed
- Recorded temperature checks being made upon entry on all sites
- Visitor restrictions are in place, with the minimum people allowed on sites
We are of course, advising staff to exercise caution outside of work; such as not carsharing, being sensible over weekends and sticking to their bubbles to keep their colleagues safe.
If you're not already including some of these, hopefully they will give you some fresh ideas on different health and safety measures you can implement, and remember we are only a phone call or email away with a tailored action plan to keep your business running smoothly and safely.